A week ago I received an email from someone asking me how to run a Dodgeball Tournament. This was for a recreation department that was looking to run a tournament for the local middle and high school, but the same principles can be applied to camps.
- Use a tennis court or basketball court since boundary lines are already created.
- It’s best to have 3 referees (one in the middle and two on the sides) as well as a score (and penalty) keeper.
- Have places (bleachers, chairs, etc.) for spectators.
- Tournaments that I have run in the past involved lots of music, refreshments and a good MC.
- Younger kids who cannot compete enjoy cheering and making signs and decorations ahead of time.
RULES OF THE TOURNAMENT
- Each team must have five players and may have up to two alternates. (The number of players can be changed, of course.)
- There should be four divisions: Boys High School division, Girls High School division, Boys Middle School division, Girls Middle School division (at camp you could also have a staff division)
- Each division must have at least four teams.
- This will be a double elimination tournament.
- No use of foul language will be tolerated.
- Team will have no more or no less than five players on the court at the beginning of each game.
- Each round is the best of three games.
- Each game has a time limit of three minutes. At the end of three minutes, the team with the most players on the court wins.
- Two balls will be used during each game. (Increase the number of balls if you have more than five players per team.)
- Balls will start on the midline at each game.
- Players that step on or across any boundary line, including the mid-line, will be out.
- Players who are hit by a ball thrown by the opposing team are out. unless:
- the ball is caught before hitting the ground,
- the thrown ball is deemed an intentional head shot,
- the thrown ball has hit another player first.
- A player who throws the ball resulting in a head shot is out unless the opposing player is ducking to avoid the ball, in which the player being hit is out.
- In order to keep the game moving, if a team has both balls on their side, they have five seconds (as counted out loud by a referee) to throw one of the balls. If the team does not discard the ball within five seconds, the charging referee will call one of the players out.
- If a player catches a thrown ball before it hits the ground, one of their eliminated teammates may return to the court, and the opposing player who threw the ball is out.
- Players may use a ball to block oncoming balls, but if they lose control of the ball they are holding and drop it, they are out.
- Players may not physically touch any opposing player. This will result in the player being terminated from the tournament.
YELLOW CARD VIOLATIONS
- Players may not argue with the referees decisions.
- Players may not spike the balls.
- Players may not kick the balls.
- Players may not hold more than one ball at a time.
- Bad sportsmanship will result in a yellow card as well.
You can print off blank dodgeball tournament/bracket sheets at printyourbrackets.com.
- Take team photos.
- Take photos during the tournament.
- Create a large bracket that can be hung on the wall.
- Have music.
- Provide refreshments.
- Make it a fund-raiser for a local charity. Then create an adult bracket with a fire dept. team, police dept. team, mayor’s team, etc.
- Have a best dressed team competition and encourage teams to wear costumes.
- BEST SELLING PACK OF DODGEBALLS: One set of six 6” dodgeballs that come in a variety of...
- NO STING! SOFT FOAM CONSTRUCTION: No more tears from stinging hits! Allows everyone to get...
- 6 PACK: Each set includes 6 regulation 7 inch dodgeballs, a mesh carrying bag and bonus...
- NO STING SURFACE: The balls are made from a special blend of rubber that makes them much...
- INDOORS OR OUTDOORS - 6 colorful dodgeballs perfect for dodgeball and many other...
- DURABLE - Coated with patented super tear resistant Rhino Skin grip, these 6 inch balls...
- Amazon Prime Video (Video on Demand)
- English (Playback Language)
- Perfect playground ball for gymnasium games: From dodgeball to catch and everything in...
- Sting reducer: Say goodbye to the classic rubber ball and its memorable sting; These new...