Theme of the Week is a post where we ask readers like you to comment with ideas for a particular theme. What ideas and suggestions do you have? What game, craft, apparel choice, theme meal, evening activity, special event, song, skit, or anything else would you do at camp if your theme was…
Alice in Wonderland (Down the Rabbit Hole)
As always I will kick off the theme with five suggestions. Then it’s your turn to leave your awesome suggestions and ideas in the comments area below.
I took the following ideas from the wonderful site Alice-in-Wonderland.net, where you will find many more ideas.
- Have a Mad Hatter Tea Party and set up a long table, covered with all different kinds of teapots, mismatched teacups and saucers, chandeliers, etc. Have an assortment of ‘odd’ chairs around the table, so that people have to sit at different heights. Use a colorful tablecloth.
- Hang up signs with ‘this way’, ‘that way’, ‘up’, ‘down’, etc. painted on them, like in Disney’s Tulgey wood.
- Play lawn croquet: with hedgehog plush toys as balls, or perhaps hedgehogs painted on the balls. Attach colored and stuffed socks to the end of the mallets and sew on eyes, to represent flamingos, or use a plush flamingo. Create large cardboard playing cards for the arches.
- Make teams, put a bucket (or large teapot) with tea on one side and an empty one on the other side of a course. Your guests have to fill a teacup, run to the other side (with the cup in their hands, or balancing them on their heads…), and empty the cup there. The team that has filled the bucket first wins.
- Have your camp staff wear top-hats or rabbit ears.