Last Updated on
Theme of the Week is a post where we ask readers like you to comment with ideas for a particular theme. What ideas and suggestions do you have? What game, craft, apparel choice, theme meal, evening activity, special event, song, skit, or anything else would you do at camp if your theme was…
Celebration of Nations
Below are my five suggestions. What’s yours?
- A great activity would be some dance presentations. Find a troupe that can show off dance styles from other nations and possibly teach some. While each nation has many different styles of dance, stick with the traditional styles. If you can’t find a troupe or a dance teacher, there is always YouTube.
- Put on a sports and games demonstration. From Cricket to Rugby, Lapta to Catching Seven Pieces, every nation has its own list of sports and games.
- Play a game of Name That Nation where you play national music (traditional to modern) and each group writes down which country they think it’s from. If correct, they earn points for the team. Side note: Country and Nation are not the same thing. Country is geographical and a Nation is a group of people who share the same culture.
- Research some cultural events that you can duplicate, like a Chinese Lantern Festival, Holi – a Hindu event, or the Italian Carnevale.
- Search Google or Pinterest for Multicultural Arts and Crafts.