Last Updated on
Theme of the Week is a post where we ask readers like you to comment with ideas for a particular theme. What ideas and suggestions do you have? What game, craft, apparel choice, theme meal, evening activity, special event, song, skit, or anything else would you do at camp if your theme was…
Below are five ideas. Leave your suggestions in the comments area below.
- Set-up clues that lead to an underwater city. Everyone loves a treasure hunt. Obviously you cannot create an underwater city so make the final clue lead to a treasure left by the inhabitants of Atlantis.
- Atlantians vs. the World – Its said that the Atlantians were an advanced civilization. Play a game where the Atlantians have less people but some sort of advantage. For example, if you’re playing Capture the Flag, players normally have to tag the other team’s players when they are on their side in order to send them to jail. In the Atlantis variation allow the Atlantians to have bean bags that they can use to toss at, or “tag”, players from the other team. This gives them an advantage even though their team is much smaller. All the other rules remain the same. You can change the details of just about any game to give one team an advantage.
- Have the staff dress and act as though they are from an advanced civilization. They can have their own special words or language, wear special bracelets and have strange hairstyles.
- Decorate the dining hall like an underwater city. Put up scenes in the windows that look like fish are swimming by.
- Have campers find “special Atlantis rocks”. These can be gems, marbles, smoothed rocks, sea glass or painted rocks. Each camper can take one. Then, using cord and wire, have them make an Atlantian necklace.