Theme of the Week is a post where we ask readers like you to comment with ideas for a particular theme. What ideas and suggestions do you have? What game, craft, apparel choice, theme meal, evening activity, special event, song, skit, or anything else would you do at camp if your theme was…
Here are my five suggestions for Fear Factor. Leave yours in the comments area below.
- Let’s Start off with the obvious, eating bugs. You can get edible crickets and BBQ meal worms on line. I attended a camp fair the other day and a mother who sent her 8 year old to our camp last summer said that the highlight of his experience was that he was the camper on his team that ate the cricket. Crazy, huh?
- Create buckets of nasty feeling items (cold spaghetti with olive oil or corn starch and water) and have items like plastic spiders or keys to locks buried in the buckets. It’s best if the buckets are covered with a black plastic bag so the campers cannot see what they’re putting their hands into. Obviously, cut a slit in the bag so the campers can reach in the bucket.
- Have kids eat dog food. Just don’t tell them it’s actually Cocoa Puffs. They’ll realize it after they have bravely tried it.
- Any high ropes element will make most campers uneasy. Or is that just me?
- Blindfold a camper on each team and have the rest of the team VERBALLY guide the blindfolded camper through an obstacle course or “minefield”.