Theme of the Week is a post where we ask readers like you to comment with ideas for a particular theme. What ideas and suggestions do you have? What game, craft, apparel choice, theme meal, evening activity, special event, song, skit, or anything else would you do at camp if your theme was…
Below are five ideas. Leave your suggestions in the comments area below.
- I love food challenges. Why? Because campers love food challenges. They either enjoy watching other campers eat or try new and crazy things or concoctions or they like participating in the challenges, showing the other campers that they can do it. Need ideas for food challenges? Visit a Chinese market, order edible insects, or just mix together a bunch of different food items.
- Let the campers decorate their cabins. When it’s time to check the cabins for cleanliness add points for decor. When I was a camper, all the cabins would gather rocks and sticks and decorate the outside front area of the cabin. It was a lot of fun.
- Give points for best dressed camper. This can differ depending on a theme meal, disco themed dance or whatever else is planned.
- Color Wars, Olympics, ropes course and team initiatives, capture the flag, treasure hunts, archery and any activity where cabins can go head to head will work. Create groups of varying ages so that it’s not older campers vs. younger campers. Keep track of points on a a large display that campers can see throughout the day. At the end of the week a winner will be announced but all campers will participate in the winning festivities.
- How about the arts? Hold shows for crafts, photography, music and drama. Each entry earns points for their teams. You don’t have to announce a winner you can just say that the red team got 354 points based on their 15 entries and the blue team got 287 points based on their 13 entries. Nobody will know who’s craft, photo or skit was “the best” or not. It’s all about the team, not the individual.