Last Updated on
Theme of the Week is a post where we ask readers like you to comment with ideas for a particular theme. What ideas and suggestions do you have? What game, craft, apparel choice, theme meal, evening activity, special event, song, skit, or anything else would you do at camp if your theme was…
Moovin’ and Groovin’
Below are five ideas. Leave your suggestions in the comments area below.
- Have a hoe down. Line dance to disco music. At one camp I worked for we would do a modified line dance to the 70’s hit Car Wash by Rose Royce. We had about five different line dances that we would lead, all to disco music. Despite my reservations, it was a big hit with everyone.
- Have a series of themed dances including Disco Nights 70s, Groovy 60s, Sock Hop 50s and the Roaring 20s.
- Offer dance classes for all kinds of dance, from ballet to Bollywood, the Charleston to Hip Hop.
- Bring back break-dancing from the 80s. Break out the cardboard and add in some Pop’n’Lock.
- If you have a camp PA system then have dance breaks throughout the day. On the first day let the campers know that the program director will randomly play 30 seconds of music over the PA system at different times of the day. When campers hear the music it’s their cue to let loos and start dancing, no matter where they are or what they are doing.
For music and dance lessons, check out videos on YouTube.