Theme of the Week is a post where we ask readers like you to comment with ideas for a particular theme. What ideas and suggestions do you have? What game, craft, apparel choice, theme meal, evening activity, special event, song, skit, or anything else would you do at camp if your theme was…
Fun and Fitness
Here are five suggestions to start things off. Leave yours in the comments area below.
- FitDecks are perfect. These are decks of cards that have a different exercise on each one. They even have decks specifically for kids.
- Obstacle courses are fun and campers don’t think of them as fitness activities. Have cabin groups challenge each other on different obstacle courses. These can be as simple as running over dirt mounds, doing 10 seconds of jump-roping, kicking a soccer ball around some cones, throwing a ball through a hanging tire and running back to the start. They can also be mega-elaborate. Your choice.
- Get campers up for some morning p.t. (physical training) of stretching, calisthenics and cardio (a short run). Campers who get up and do their p.t. get a special treat, earn points for their cabin or eat breakfast first.
- Hold a Sports Buffet where campers get to try different sports. Have them rotate stations. Each station will have a different sport to try (swimming, skating, ultimate Frisbee, competitive jump roping, martial arts, boxing, soccer, lacrosse, tennis, handball, fencing, archery, etc.).
- Skillastics has some great products that combines fun sports skills into a game.