Theme of the Week is a post where we ask readers like you to comment with ideas for a particular theme. What ideas and suggestions do you have? What game, craft, apparel choice, theme meal, evening activity, special event, song, skit, or anything else would you do at camp if your theme was…
As always I will kick off the theme with five suggestions. Then it’s your turn to leave your awesome suggestions and ideas in the comments area below.
- Bull in the Ring – This is a game for high school campers, CITs or Counselors. Take a hose and create a muddy area. Then rope it off. The players get in the ring on their hands and knees. At the whistle everyone tries to push the others out of the ring. Players must stay on their knees at all times. This game is very physical and very messy. Make sure that your mud spot doesn’t have rocks in it. The campers watch and cheer for their favorite players.
- Fear Factor eating challenges. I will usually go to an authentic Asian market or order things online, like bugs. During one camp we purchased 50 live crickets and placed them in a jar. The teen campers had to stick their hand in the jar and pull out a coin. Afterward, they got the chance to eat a cricket for bonus points. You can buy edible crickets online.
- After lights out take the middle school aged cabins out in the woods or around camp and play flash light tag, capture the flag or dodgeball in the dining hall with the lights out and disco lights on.
- Set up three targets on the zipline course and have campers zip down with a paintball gun. As they are zipping along they try to shoot the targets.
- Have a meal where the campers eat only with their hands. No finger food here. Serve dishes like mash potatoes and corn (not on the cob).