There used to be a great magazine called Motto. In one of the issues it highlighted the company Cranium. The article was very cool as is the company. One of the neat things that was in the article was Cranium’s 7 rules that their employees live by. If you’re a camp professional I think you’ll appreciate these rules. I know I do. (My comments are in parentheses.)
- We are passionate about creating exceptional products.
(For our purposes this ought to read – We are passionate about creating exceptional camp programs.)
- We delight our customers at every opportunity.
(This should be paramount for community camp pros.)
- We have the courage and conviction to follow our own path.
(Hearing someone say “But that’s how we’ve always done it” is a pet peeve of mine. I am constantly trying to create new programs and activities, as well as improve ones. I want to put my stamp on it and encourage my staff and co-workers to do the same.)
- We think big but remain nimble and agile in our actions.
- We recognize that profitability is essential to our future success.
(The more money we bring in through fees, grants, etc. the more money we have to create and improve programs and events.)
- We create an environment that celebrates everything we stand for.
(Do you? This one is my favorite. The next time you fill a session, ring a bell, turn on the tunes and have a 30 second dance party.)
- We act with care, integrity and respect. We are a team.
(Highlight this “rule” at your next staff meeting.)